The internet is currently afire with talk about AI bots that can create amazing images, ranging from the photorealistic to the totally surreal, in a matter of moments. Have you played with AI yet?
If you haven’t, getting started at this stage can feel a bit intimidating. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you get going with what is probably the most powerful and impressive generative AI image tool currently available for public use: MidJourney AI. Get ready to embark on a creative journey that will push the boundaries of your imagination and artistic vision.
(No actual art or computer skills required!)
Why We’re Telling You This
Imagine having the power to transform any thought into a vivid, stunning image with just a few keyboard strokes or swipes of your phone screen. With MidJourney AI, it’s now completely possible: your creative fantasies come to life with no more than a simple text prompt.
In the following guide, we’ll dive deep into the world of MidJourney. We’ll start with how to set it up using the popular Discord messaging app to awesome example prompts that you can test or tweak. Then, get ready for some hot tips on writing original prompts to generate mind-blowing images of your own.
By the end of this post, you’ll have a solid understanding of this extraordinary AI tool, as well as a treasure trove of great ideas so you can hit the ground running. Hold on to your digital hats and prepare to explore, create, and be amazed by MidJourney AI and its endless possibilities…
But above all, brace yourself to be surprised by your own creativity!
Unlocking the World of MidJourney AI
So, what is Midjourney AI, and how does it work?
Picture this (small pun intended): you have a vision in your mind. Maybe it’s a scene, a concept, an idea, or even just a few details to start with. Unfortunately, you lack the artistic skills and equipment that you need to bring this vision into the real world in a satisfying way.
MidJourney AI can become both your artistic assistant and your creative muse. In other words, you’ll have not just the brush and palette but also the artificially intelligent hands to skillfully operate them. This is a virtual genie in a bottle – except your MidJourney subscription plan gives you access to way more than the standard three wishes.
The independent research lab behind MidJourney has developed a truly exceptional text-to-image AI tool that stands out in a rapidly crowded market. MidJourney AI is able to take your textual descriptions and transform them into compelling visuals with a professional sheen.
Understanding MidJourney: AI Meets Imagination
MidJourney AI empowers you with a direct pipeline from your imagination to your monitor or phone screen. Better yet – it does this almost effortlessly. This powerful resource serves as a new gateway for all kinds of users. Whether you need images for practical or professional purposes or want to expand your creative horizons in the realm of visual art and lack the skills or equipment to express yourself.
How to Use MidJourney AI: Understanding Discord Integration
Wait. Discord? (I can practically hear you saying it). Isn’t that a chat room server for gamers?
Indeed, Discord first gained popularity as a hub for gamers, but in recent years, it has evolved into a versatile, secure, and modern multi-function communications platform. Today, it hosts diverse communities from all walks of life, including digital art and AI enthusiasts.
Having rapidly grown beyond its “gamers only” image, Discord is now considered a top-tier option for online communication. You can find value whether you’re a content creator looking to collab, a gamer in search of a group to start a new Baldur’s Gate III playthrough, or just someone who has been dissatisfied with other messaging services. In short, it’s a straightforward, fully-featured way to stay in touch through text, voice, and video.
Today, thanks to sophisticated chatbots and well-built APIs, Discord can also be used to interface with powerful, cloud-based services like MidJourney AI seamlessly.
Using Discord to Create MidJourney AI Images: Step-by-Step Guide
If you’re accustomed to using web browser-based image tools or apps that run locally on your device and have their own user interface, the idea of accessing and using a software service through Discord chat can seem pretty awkward. In reality, creating art with MidJourney via Discord is a breeze!
Here’s exactly how to do it:
- Create Your Discord Account – If you don’t already have one, head over to https://discord.com and create your free account.
- Log In to MidJourney AI – Once you have a verified Discord account, you can head to https://midjourney.com/account and use it to sign in.
- Choose Your Subscription Plan – MidJourney has a variety of plans available to suit different needs. Select the one that fits you best.
- Join a MidJourney Discord Server – There are some different options for this step. You can join the official MidJourney server or add the MidJourney “bot” to your own server.
- Start Creating – Once you’re logged into Discord and “chatting” with MidJourney, you’re good to go! Simply start typing what you want to see and plunge yourself into the wild world of AI-generated images.
- Get Fancy – When you become more familiar with using MidJourney, you can also start to incorporate special switches and commands to create advanced prompts.
Why MidJourney Uses Discord
Please note that, as of now, there is no way to use MidJourney without Discord – at least not one that doesn’t involve major workarounds. While there are alternative AI image generators (and, yes, even some free ones) that run on the web or in their own apps, it is highly recommended to get on Discord and integrate your account with MidJourney. That is, we recommend it if you want access to the highest quality AI image generation currently available.
Discord serves as a highly effective canvas on which you can use MidJourney to unleash your creative magic. The integration between MidJourney and Discord is far from being clunky or unnecessary. Actually, it streamlines creation and offers several key benefits:
- Community Collaboration – Because of Discord’s chat room-like core features, it has a vibrant community of AI and digital art enthusiasts who can share and interact in real-time.
- Accessibility and Ease of Use – While some people clamor for a MidJourney app that can be downloaded and installed locally, this would be a massive piece of technology. The fact that you don’t have to install additional software to use MidJourney is actually a huge benefit rather than a downside of Discord integration.
- Seamless Integration – Discord’s extremely straightforward interface also ensures fool-proof integration with MidJourney. This makes the creative process incredibly easy for just about anyone familiar with typing.
- Engagement – Discord has built-in interactive features, such as emoji reactions and file sharing. They enable users to interact with MidJourney results, send great images via direct message, cancel or edit prompts for works in progress, or delete unwanted images.
Discord is a dynamic and engaging platform and yet has a simplicity of design that makes it incredibly intuitive for wrangling powerful third-party platforms like MidJourney AI.
MidJourney Prompts: Your Ticket to a Custom Creative Wonderland
Now you understand how to access MidJourney AI, but what about the prompts? What do you actually type to get great results? Without effective prompts behind your requests, even a powerful AI like MidJourney is at risk of generating boring, generic, or downright unattractive images.
That’s where we come in!
For now, we’ll limit our killer prompt examples to plain-text requests and not worry about the advanced commands and switches that can be added to prompts. Check out the way this incredible tool responds to effective prompts:
MidJourney Prompts for Painting
- A vividly colored reimagining of René Magritte’s The Son of Man, blending a surrealist setting with realistic features
- A vibrant sunrise over a calm harbor near a seaside town in Ancient Greece, oil painting
- An apple orchard in autumn, with crows gathering on the fallen leaves, a watercolor background
MidJourney Prompts for Photographs
- The intricate details of an exotic mushroom, illuminated by rays of midday sunlight through thick forest canopy
- Rooftop view of a modern city on a winter night lights cutting through wet snow and reflecting off the streets
- An expensive sports car parked outside a dilapidated, abandoned building, capturing the juxtaposition of wealth and poverty
MidJourney Prompts for Digital Art
- A steampunk circus run by mechanical clowns, with elephants made of brass gears
- A futuristic neon shrine built in the ruins of a shopping mall, haunted by cyber ghosts at night
- A mysterious obelisk rising from a verdant jungle pond, guarded by a pair of tigers
MidJourney Tips to Supercharge Your AI Image Prompts
If none of our prompts float your boat – or if you’re ready to get creative on your own – check out these tips for getting the most out of MidJourney.
- Add Details – The more specific you get about key elements, the more accurately the AI can interpret your desires.
- Incorporate Styles – Mention an art movement, aesthetic trend, genre, or even the name of a favorite photographer to guide the style of the image. Experiment with mixing genres or creating AI “mashups” of multiple artists’ styles to really hone in on your own personal look.
- Blend Prompts – Combine two or more prompts to create something truly unique. While this can be an imprecise way to generate images, it can also yield exciting, unexpected results. It additionally serves as an exercise in understanding how MidJourney interprets your text.
- Be Specific – Replace vague descriptions with vivid, detail-oriented language for more precise image generation.
- Don’t Skimp on the Adjectives – While the concrete foundation for your image will typically be a main prompt element in the form of a noun, descriptive adjectives help you control the aesthetics and generate a richer image. In other words, you’ll need adjectives to breathe life into your creations.
- Get Emotional – Use emotional language to infuse the right vibe into your images effectively. This often goes hand in hand with tip #5.
- Add Visual Context – Using some of your prompt to focus on setting and background elements can transform a simple image into a full-fledged narrative. Warning: adding too much detail about too many secondary elements can also confound the algorithm, so play around to find the sweet spot.
- Experiment – Embrace the unknown! Experiment freely with new ideas and sudden inspirations, no matter how off the wall. Through experimentation and self-guided exploration, you will come to develop your own unique “art style” as a prompt writer.
The most important thing to remember is that, like any other type of art, there is no “right” or “wrong” way to create a prompt. The real magic of MidJourney AI is unlocked through pushing the boundaries of your own creativity as a prompt writer.
Last but certainly not least – have fun! AI means anything is possible… what will you create