We’re all probably a little guilty of one or more of these 5 Social Media Habits below. It’s vital that you put a stop to that nonsense pronto, as we explain why each is not helping you in your social media game!
- Auto Follow | Do not follow everyone that follows you. Come on now. If you’re truly going to be managing a social media platform to connect with like businesses and individuals you want to follow appropriate accounts or at least be interested in the information the people you are following have to tweet about, right? Plus in some (most) cases, bots will add you, then if you auto follow them you are now following a stream of spam. Usually they have it set that once you auto follow them they un-follow you. They’ve now gained an audience/follow and now you have some horrible feed happening. Not fun!
- Auto Direct Message (DM) | As clever and sincere as you think it may be, DON’T DO IT! It’s completely non personal when you send an auto DM message to a new follower. They can be a total turn off and the follower may turn around just as quick to un-follow you.
- Losing Control| You need to keep your composure and patience at all times. Don’t ever let a customer or random fan light a fire under you, so much that you lose control, but also don’t ignore your audience. Whether you keep it on page or direct them to contact you or you contact them via email or phone, ensure you give the respect to respond to all inquiries and issues. Nestle is a prime example of what happens when you can’t keep your cool.
- Rely Souly on FB for your Web Presence | Sure you have to start somewhere, and Facebook Business/Fan page is definitely encouraged, but do not rely primarily on Facebook for your web presence.
- Facebook is a social media site, a borrowed platform if you will not owned by you, meaning not a business asset.
- Facebook doesn’t offer customization that a fully designed, customized, SEO’d site can
- Facebook doesn’t offer e-commerce abilities (without custom app development)
- As far as SEO goes, you want a site that ranks YOUR NAME/BUSINESS NAME not just facebook.com/FILLINNAMEHERE
- Retweet (RT) EVERY Tweet praising you | Sweet someone recognized you and gave you praise, chances are you’re the ONLY one who cares about that. It’s not necessary to boast about praises unless you were recognized for some great award or achievement. There’s this nifty lil star button called ‘favorites’ that you should utilize. Basically putting all those praises into a bucket for you to revisit at another time without sounding annoying and gloating about it.
If you take the time and consideration to avoid these 5 Don’t Do’s in your social media platforms the reward could be quite great!