What’s Happening at Eminent SEO
EminentSEO.com Launches a New Website Design
The countdown is on! In just days now our new site is launching!
What have we done?
- All new graphic design – including a freshened up logo
- A more modern version of our Monster Mascot, Max!
- ALL new content (literally every page has been rewritten)
- All new SEO (that’s right baby!)
- Added a new resource section with cool information like: SEO Slang, Free tools and more!
- Added a Shop – wait ‘til you see it, we have lots of fun things to buy
- Mobile friendly, responsive design – it’s been a long time coming, but you should now be able to access our site from any tablet or mobile device and easily navigate – yay!
If, by the time you are reading this, the new site isn’t yet live, please check back in a few days and be sure to tell us what you think!
Good to Know in SEO (RIGHT NOW)
Penguin 3.0 – Is The Next Google Update On Its Way?
You remember Google’s Penguin Update, right? (If not, we just talked about it last month here:What’s Up with Google Penguin) Well, the speculation of a 3.0 update has turned into hints from John Mueller, the senior Webmaster Trends Analyst at Google, and we tend to take his hints pretty seriously – so, to us, the update is inevitable.
When is the last time you looked at your backlinks?
Have you recently really looked at your website backlink index? And, when I say recently, I mean in the last year at least. This update is all about targeting what Google deems as artificial link building. If you think you are safe because you haven’t built links for a while (or ever) I hate to break it to you – but you are NOT safe. The web is a funny place people link to whomever they see fit. Also, spammers have all kinds of weird techniques, such as scraping (stealing) content, syndication and even negative SEO. If you don’t know what you have going on in your backlink index, now is the time to get it checked out.
What to do if you think Penguin 3.0 could hurt you:
#1) You need to perform a complete backlink audit, including:
- Identify all in-bound links (you can try using free and paid tools – or hire a pro).
- Evaluate the host locations – are they part of a network or otherwise potentially spammy?? Are they relevant to your website? Does the link serve a purpose or does it appear to be for SEO?
- Review the anchor text used in these links. No matter how relevant they look, if you have an anchor text trend then all of your links are going to look artificial.
#2) Once you have a complete backlink audit and you have identified the bad, you need to:
- Start contacting the hosting sites immediately, asking for removals.
- If you cannot find contact information, the webmaster is unwilling or for any other reason you cannot get the link removed, collect the link location to send to Google using the disavow tool.
#3) If you have received a Google penalty of artificial link warning, once all links that can be have been removed or disavowed, it’s time for a reinclusion:
- Prepare a letter to send to Google explaining what has been done.
- Submit the letter and a copy, if possible, of all links that have been removed or submitted through the disavow tool.
#4) If Google responds to your request with additional work to be done, you need to:
- Ensure you have removed as many links as you can, sometimes this means you have to remove links that don’t appear to be spammy.
- Review your website internal linking structure and clean it up as well.
- Review your website content and structure and if you have issues with your site or outdated/duplicate content – fix it!
It is estimated that 15% or more of all English search queries will be affected by the Google Penguin 3.0 update.
Is your site safe?
If you are unsure and want help, please ask. We are experts at this stuff and can get your backlinks in order STAT!
August Eminent SEO Social Media Roundup
Over the last month we’ve shifted away from a monthly social media focus on one area and expanded into a new Eminent SEO Social Media Calendar. We want to provide you, our audience, with a variety of interesting articles, inspirational images and links to industry news.
Here are a few of our favorite social shares from August:
The Eminent SEO Owners, Chris and Jenny, are ready to welcome a new baby soon!
“Today we celebrate the Eminent baby to be! All of us are very excited for this little boy’s arrival and now the parents are stocked up and ready to go!”
Another Google Update, Pigeon!
“Get crapped on by Google Pigeon? You’re not alone. Learn what SEO experts are saying about this update in our new blog post! //www.eminentseo.com/blog/local-search-results-affected-latest-google-pigeon-update/”
A Tragic Loss
“Today the world lost a legend. RIP, Robin Williams.”
Employee Spotlight: Zach!
Q. How long have you worked for Eminent SEO? 2 years.
Q. What do you do here? Fulfillment manager. I make sure that all work ordered for our clients is fulfilled in a timely manner and that all aspects of the individual campaigns are adhered-to.
Q. What is your favorite industry blog to follow? None, in-particular, but an index of smaller wordpress.com blogs of people in the industry, which gives me a much wider scope on industry related topics.
Employee Appreciation Lunch!
“We love taking time out and getting to know each other outside the office. Today we all went and had lunch at Waldo’s BBQ. It was delish!”
Did you know shark week was dubbed the most social programming event to date in 2013 with 4.3 million @sharkweek tweets, nearly 3.4 million video streams and 21.8 million people discussing via Facebook?
Employee Spotlight: Tatiana!
Q. Have long have you worked at Eminent SEO? I have been with Eminent SEO since day 1!
Q. What do you do for ESEO? I am the Social Media Strategist. I help maintain client interaction, build links, build out maps and much more.
Q. What is your favorite social media platform to use? Why? I love using Twitter and Facebook. Twitter because it’s short, sweet and to the point and Facebook because you really get to know your audience and what they like to read.
Q. How has your career at ESEO created value in your life? Doing social media everyday has helped me market my photography, which has been fun and great!
Marketing Blog Roundup
Local Search Results Affected by the Latest Google Pigeon Update
From the latest Google Pigeon algorithm update, research shows that realtors and DUI lawyers were primarily targeted. The experts weigh on how this update is affecting local rankings and the changes in the search results. Learn more about this update, who’s been affected, and what SEO experts are saying here
Design Trends For Websites: Coming In 2015
Are you wondering what design trends 2015 has in store for websites? Our graphic designer, Jason SanMarco, predicts 5 trends to look out for in 2015.
How to Use Social Media and Email Marketing to Influence Repeat Business
“The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%.” Generating repeat business has a higher ROI than only focusing your marketing spend toward new business. Learn how you can use the combination of email marketing and social media to help accomplish these sales goals.
Creating Pinteresting Conversations with Pinterest Messaging
Pinterest launched their newest feature called Pinterest Messaging where you’re allowed to message current followers about specific pins. This new feature could open up the opportunity for brands to nurture their current followers into becoming leads or brand advocates.
See Ya Online!
Well that does it for this month’s newsletter. Now that the new Eminent SEO site is launching we might have to find a new internal project… look out for some fun contests and giveaways in the near future.
Until next time, see ya online…