May is for Mothers and June is for Fathers
Last month marked Mother’s Day, and this Sunday, June 16th marks Father’s Day. What are your fondest memories of your father? Raising you certainly wasn’t easy at times – make sure you show your father your appreciation for a job well done!
Staying Informed in “The Diet Food Misinformation Age”
You know those yummy foods you are eating that boast “diet”, “fat free” or “whole wheat”? They’re healthy, right? Think again! Our President, Chris Weatherall, shares with you some common foods that seem healthy but that are actually really bad for you. Read it here: The Diet Food Misinformation Age
How Google’s Algorithm, Named Penguin 2.0, Impacted the Web:
On May 22nd, businesses and SEO’s alike shuddered in fear when Matt Cutts and Google announced the release of Penguin 2.0. The first Penguin, released in April of last year, aimed to reward high-quality websites the most in Google’s search rankings. Sites using keyword stuffing, manipulative link schemes, and duplicate content took a beating from the original Penguin.
Version 2.0 targets the same “spammy techniques” but at a more aggressive level. Google says they want to eliminate the low quality sites and only rank useful, informative websites at the top. At a more detailed level, industry experts are abuzz stating Penguin is in particular doing the following:
- Much more closely examining links to your site, making sure they come from quality websites related in topic to yours
- Watching the quality of guest blog posts you place, especially the quality of the websites on which the posts are found, as well as the anchor text of the link provided in the post
- Reducing the authority of websites with low-quality content
- Checking out the anchor texts related to your site, and in particular, looking for more branded anchor text
If you’ve seen a noticeable dip in your traffic or search rankings after May 22nd, you may have been hit by Penguin. Contact us and let us know what happened if you need help.
What to do to Reduce the Effect of Penguin 2.0 and Future Algorithm Changes
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” may be a popular cliché, but it rings true in many aspects of life, and especially in SEO. If you don’t already know:
- Google changes its algorithm 1-2 times per day, according to a tweet by spokesman Matt Cutts
- That amounts to 500 changes per year or so, with 25 of those having a significant enough impact to come to mainstream attention
It sounds like a ton to keep up with, and it is. But, the best way to stay on top of all these changes is to engage in timeless white-hat strategies that Google will always reward:
- Use in-depth, helpful content on all pages on your website, and especially the home-page and other main landing pages
- Regularly create new and helpful content for your visitors (at least once per week, but ideally 2 times or more) in the form of blogs, videos, images, etc.
- Get active on the social media profiles where your audience is most likely to be found and create content they will share
- Use varied and dynamic organic marketing strategies
In a nutshell, create the very best user experience you can for your website users.
All of the Eminent SEO services are intended to help you create a quality website with a lasting marketing strategy. When you work hard to offer quality, Google will reward you for it.
Come Back Next Time for More!
Staying on top of SEO trends isn’t something you can do alone – that’s our job. If you haven’t already, subscribe to our newsletter and our SEO blog for the latest updates and on-line marketing advice.
I always spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s
articles everyday along with a mug of coffee.